It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:58 pm

A Knight's Shield 

Post A Knight's Shield
So, I understand that a knight's (or squire's, I suppose) is supposed to symbolize something, I was wondering if there are specific symbols and patters that should be used.

For example, Ordo Procinctus uses the Key to represent a scholarly study of martial arts (the axe).

I've looked around for a coat of arms for my family, no luck.

My last name is Crappel, but that's a misspelling of Crepelle, a french name.

Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:55 pm

Post A Knight's Shield
Where did you do this search? Just on Google or on a special website? All I know about Plaisance is that it means pleasure in French.

Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:54 am

Post A Knight's Shield
We have a book onsite about Heraldry. This contains some designs and crests that you would see on shields.

It will give you historical insite into what the symbols are for and also about 'quartering' the crest and so-forth. Can give you a look in January.

As Herald Master, I have the authority to reject a symbol (although it hasn't happened yet). So if you are not sure, check with me, before you go painting it on all your gear. Typically the more medieval the symbol looks, the overall better appearance your armour will have.

Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:00 am
Profile WWW

Post A Knight's Shield
That's pretty sweet. No clue what my last name stands for. Glad that it is not based on your name though

Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:16 pm

Post A Knight's Shield
yeah My standard is not my families crest at all, my family crest is much to complex for me to want to put it on everything...I just went with something aesthetically pleasing and simple

Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:54 pm
Profile WWW

Post A Knight's Shield
Yea If i ever am able to join yall then id want some simple but kinda unique as well. Who knows have plenty of time left for all that.

Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:57 pm

Post A Knight's Shield
I agree, I'd take the time to come up with something unique, that suits my self.

Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:55 pm

Post A Knight's Shield
To Andrew, I just googled Crepelle. My basic understanding of French tells me that Crepelle (a French last name) roughly Pancake Girl. Crepe is a pancake-type food popular in france, you've probably had one before living in Louisiana. Elle means girl.

I would love to bear the (more than likely fearsome) crest of the pancake girls! Haha, no, I'd rather come up with my own shield, I actually doubted you guys used family crests, seeing as no one's crest seems to be split in to quarters, which I believe was a standard for family crests.

Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:02 pm

Post A Knight's Shield
Where did the French Willette family come from? What is the French coat of arms/family crest? When did the Willette family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the history of the family name?

French surnames were subject to numerous spelling alterations depending on the region and time it was used. The early development of the French language relied heavily on borrowing elements and grammar from other languages. For example, Old French was infused with Germanic words and sounds when barbarian tribes invaded and settled in France after the fall of the Roman Empire. Middle French also borrowed heavily from the Italian language during the Renaissance. As a result of these linguistic and cultural influences, the name Willette is distinguished by a number of regional variations. The many spelling variations of the name include Oueilly, Oueilly, Ouilly, Ouele, Oueillade, Willet, Willett, Williot, Wille, Willette, Willi, Oulette, Ouellet, Oullett, Wellett, Oullette and many more.

First found in Normandy where this distinguished family were anciently seated in the honour of the seigneurie of Ouilly-le-Basset in the arrondissement and canton of Falaise in Calvados.

In 1643, 109 years after the first landings by Cartier, there were only about 300 people in Quebec, in 1663 there were only 500, 2,000 migrants arrived during the next decade. Early marriage was desperately encouraged amongst the immigrants. Youths of 18 took fourteen-year-old girls for their wives. The fur trade was developed and attracted migrants, both noble and commoner from France. 15,000 explorers left Montreal in the late 17th and 18th centuries. Migration from France to New France or Quebec, as it was now more popularly called, continued from France until it fell in 1759. By 1675, there were 7000 French in Quebec. By the same year the Acadian presence in Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island had reached 500. In 1755, 10,000 French Acadians refused to take an oath of allegiance to England and were deported to Louisiana. Meanwhile, in Quebec, the French race flourished, founding in Lower Canada, one of the two great solitudes which became Canada. Many distinguished contributions have been made by members of this family name Willette. It has been prominent in the arts, religion, politics and culture in France and New France. Amongst the settlers in North America with this distinguished name Willette were Daniel Wellett, aged 27; settled in Virginia in 1773.

Motto Translated: God and my work.

Last edited by Sir Chris on Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:05 pm
Profile WWW

Post A Knight's Shield
Thats pretty sweet! Though, iv searched my name and concluded that someone really screwed up alone the lines and just went with Sauce. Yes, my last name is sauce.

Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:17 pm