It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:22 pm

Training options 

Post Training options
Since I was forced to miss this past training day, I'm curious what sort of training goes on. Trying to start to get back into shape and any idea of what I have to look forward to or can do (besides pushups and pullups) would be much appreciated.

Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:32 pm

Post Re: Training options
Hey Joshua,

Since we're a combat organization at the core, most all of our training is combat oriented - various weapons, grappling, boxing, kickboxing, etc. We've done some Systema training as well. One of the things we like to do in our club is mix and match all kinds of modern and period fighting arts, so nearly anything is game.

During the regular season (when we're not fighting at the Festival) we usually have a tournament on the first Sunday of the month and a dedicated training day on the third Sunday of the month. In January and February, that schedule gets knocked off kilter due to holidays and our Open training days. If you're near Baton Rouge, we also due a weekly weapons practice (currently held Tuesdays at 4:30 on the LSU campus and focused on German longsword).

Any kind of regular exercise and conditioning would be good for you to do on your own. I'm no expert in that area, so I can't really offer much advice. You could try browsing the internet or getting some books. Maybe someone else in the club with more experience can chime in as far as that's concerned.

So that's pretty much how we do training. If you have any other Q's, let us know.

Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:54 pm

Post Re: Training options
Speaking of training, is there going to be a training day this sunday?

Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:58 pm