It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:33 am

August Tournament w/SDA NOLA - August 7th 

Post August Tournament w/SDA NOLA - August 7th
So by now everyone should know about the tournament event we're doing with the System D'Armes guys from New Orleans.

The tournament will be in the Hammond High Gym. Everyone should have passed the school a million times on the way to the fair grounds. To get to the Gym, take the last driveway on the right, before you get to the woods. Here's a Google map of the location. Gear checks and reading of the rules will start at 12:30 pm. The tournament will start at 1pm.

Format will be the two team King of the Hill format that we've been playing with during the last few training days. A few of the details have changed however. Here's a summary:

• Teams will be comprised of an equal number of fighters from each club.
  • Each fighter will have 3 lives.
  • One member from each team steps into the ring. The first fighter to earn 3 points is the winner of the match. The loser goes to the end of his team's line and subtracts a life from his life total. The winner remains in the ring.
  • The next member of the loser's team enters the ring to represent his team. The match proceeds as the previous one, with the first fighter to three points winning the match, the loser going to the end of his line and subtracting a life, and the winner staying in the ring.
  • Matches proceed in this manner until all fighters of one team have lost all 3 of their lives. The last team with fighters standing wins the tournament.
  • If two fighters accumulate 4 double kills during a single match, BOTH fighters lose the match, subtract a life from their life total, and go to the end of their lines to be replaced by the next fighter from their team.

The following equipment will be *required* for participation in the tournament:

• Fencing mask
  • Gorget
  • Hockey/Lacrosse gloves, preferably with leather reinforcement, or steel gauntlets. Note that fighters wearing metal hand protection will NOT be allowed to grapple or strike with their hands.
  • A cup.
  • Elbow pads.
  • Tennis Shoes (Hammond High's coach requests that only tennis shoes be worn on the gym floor. No boots or street shoes allowed.)

The following equipment is *highly recommended*:

• A gambeson, arming jacket, or other body protection.
  • Knee pads.
  • Rigid or padded forearm protection.

Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:43 pm

Post Re: August Tournament w/SDA NOLA - August 7th
So I talked to Jean and it's looking like their only going to have 5 fighters, so we're going to have to limit Ordo participants to the same number. I figure we can take the top four from the July tournament and throw myself in to make our 5.

But don't fret if you didn't make top 5, because we're planning to do lots of sparring and maybe a bit of training after the tourney. There will be plenty of opportunity to fight for those who want to.

We will also need event staff like judges, a ref, and a scorekeeper, so please let me know if you're interested in any of those positions.

After we're all good and tired, the plan is to go to Mariner's in Hammond for food, drinks, and socialization. This will be a great opportunity to get to know the SDA guys before we all ride over to Tallahassee for Dixie Krieg.

Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:14 pm

top four were seth, vic, mason, and kenny if I am not mistaken. and mere has volunteered for scorekeeper.

Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:03 pm

is it cool if i make a apperance to see everyone and to check out this new style of fighting ? i would like to just be a spectator but if yall need me for anything i can help :D

Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:36 pm

C'mon over, you know you don't need an invite.

Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:00 am
Profile WWW

Sir Victor wrote:
C'mon over, you know you don't need an invite.

+1

Gary, if you have the time, can you confirm the rankings from the July tourney? It's looking like SDA may be able to scrape up a 6th fighter, so we'll need to know who else gets to fight.

I'm marking Mere down for scorekeeper. I'm hoping to work up some scorecards to make that task a little easier.

I checked out the gym at last training and it looks... like a gym. There will be plenty of room in there for us to get things done.

Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:18 am

with six it's eric, seth, vic, kenny, mason and david

Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:09 am

I'll be there so if we need another judge I can handle it.

Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:26 pm
Profile YIM

Good thing I double checked. I missed the tennis shoes requirement earlier.
Is that the school we pass right before reaching the fair grounds?

Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:48 am

Many thanks and congratulations to everyone who made it out to fight yesterday! I think we had a great showing and should feel really good about our performance. Thanks for representing the Ordo!!

Special thanks to Gary for videoing, Meredith for keeping score, and Dallas, Stephen, and Jason for working the ring.

Jean took off with the score cards, but he emailed me the kill counts last night:

Ordo
Victor - 5 Kills
Eric - 4 Kills
Mason - 4 Kills
Kenny - 2 Kills
Seth - 1 Kill
Legeaux - 1 Kill

SDA
Skip - 5 Kills
Billy - 4 Kills
Jean - 4 Kills
Christian - 2 Kills