It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:00 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Fall Southeastern HEMA Alliance Event 

Post Re: Fall Southeastern HEMA Alliance Event
I didn't realize that it was less than 7 hours away. I thought it was closer to a 10 hour drive!

I think I may have to jump in on this too. Gotta line up a hotel room. Might look into renting a big vehicle that we could all jump into with our supplies.

Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:21 am
Profile WWW

Just a reminder, be sure to PREREGISTER here: http://freifechter.com/events/fall2009/

Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:48 am

OK. I registered.

So, Keaton and Dallas are up for car-pooling, huh? Anyone else?

I plan to rent a vehicle to get us (and any gear) there. Typically when renting a vehicle, addition drivers must be present, when renting. (They might wave this, but I'll look into it.) This means that whoever is going to help drive, needs to be there when we get the vehicle. Maybe we can get a rental vehicle around Covington, so we will all be present.

I'll be looking for a hotel room next. I don't mind people bunking together with me, but keep in mind that I snore. :) My plan is to travel on Friday, and spend 3 nights in Florida, and return on Monday. I do not want to start travelling on Saturday morning (to get there), nor do I wanna leave on Sunday at 5pm (to get back home). Sorry, but I don't like getting up at 3am, neither do I like driving till 1am.

Anyway, that is my plans, so if anyone wants to jump in, you are welcome.

Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:45 am
Profile WWW

Regarding gear:

It has been highly recommended that anyone who intends to participate in sparring or clinics should bring a 3 weapon fencing mask, protective gloves, and a waster of their weapon of choice.

Our helmets seem like they'd be protective enough, but I'm not sure how kindly people would take to smashing their wasters into metal helmets. I'm sure hockey gloves are acceptable hand protection.

Of course, there will be a lot of people there, so it may just be a matter of finding someone who's willing to fight against what you've got or someone who can loan you gear that others will fight against.

Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:22 am

By saying waster, does a padded sword count, or should it be a wooden sword?

I've got hockey gloves and demi-gaunts to cover ontop if needed.
I have a padded sword, but may make a rattan one as well.
I don't have a fencing mask. My helmet is overkill, but still useable for this.

Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:02 pm
Profile WWW

Glad to hear so many of y'all are going, we are bringing 3 or 4 people as well. Should be a fun trip!

We are bringing padded wasters, shinai, and steel simulators. We have 3 or 4 fencing masks we can share.

You can bring wooden wasters which are fine for drill but I don't think they will be using them for sparring, same for rataan. I know Mike and Jake like steel a lot now, personally I don't like sparring with steel but I'll give it a shot, but we'll have plenty of our padded waster simulators with us as well that we can also spar with. I'm sure they will be flexibile.

I think your helmets should be ok for padded weapons, nylon, or shinai... Lenny in our group uses a steel helmet. For fencing with steel rapiers or steel blunts, federswords etc. you have to have complete eye protection so it depends on how your helmets were made. If you can scrounge up any fencing masks bring them, plus the best gloves you can get hold of.

Db

Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:26 pm
Profile WWW

Registered.

Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:42 am

Potential problem for me...

There is a good possibility that I'll have to go out of town (for work) from Oct. 19th-23rd. If this happens, I will not attend the sword clinic in Fl.

I'm keeping a watchful eye on this, and will respond as soon as I know somehting for sure. :roll:

Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:58 am
Profile WWW

Anyone else planning on driving in case Sir Victor can't go. I'll only be able to go if I can hop in with someone.

Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:14 pm

I know Keaton was planning to go, but he was probably planning to ride with Sir Victor as well.

You guys should get in touch with SDA and see if they have extra room. They were talking about maybe renting a van or something.

Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:32 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next