It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:36 pm

Fall Southeastern HEMA Alliance Event 

Post Re: Fall Southeastern HEMA Alliance Event
Oh man, that's not even reworked to avoid looking like a knock of.

Thanks for being our ambassador Sir Eric.

I think we are going to try using some uber shinai for renfest. Even if we break some, I think it will improve the look of a public show and be worth the expense. The club can pay for some out of our renfest pay as a cost of doing the show.

Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:00 am

Sir Eric wrote:
Thanks for all of the kind words!

I'm going to see if I can get in touch with the UCF guys that were at the event. They make their own plastic wasters, but I think they are ABS instead of nylon because ABS is cheaper. I just can't remember where they said they ordered it from. If I can get hold of the materials, I can make the wasters.

I didn't know they were making their own. We should find out more about that. The nylon is the same as in large cutting boards, I think like the ones they sell here:

http://www.instawares.com/cutting-board ... 39.0.7.htm

you take a large cutting board like 4 feet, cut it into planks and shape it with woodworking tools, just like with a wooden waster. The trickiest parts are the pommel and the cross but you can order those.

Nylon is expensive though, I think those cutting boards are like $80 - $150 depending on the thickness.

Quote:
Thanks for letting us know that shenai was already busted. I think we're going to try to fit up some uber shenai and test them out.

Oh, and THIEVES!!!!

Yeah with the shinai, I think the quality makes a difference, we bought three, two really cheap ones (including the one that broke) which were about $20 from Amazon.com, and one more expensive one which I bought from some kind of Kendo supply place for about $40 or $50. Mine seems to be holding up better, the other cheap one is also half busted though that is partly due to my girflriend getting mad at me and hitting a door with it really hard.

Speaking of which, the good quality rule also goes for doors, and girlfriends....

DB

Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:44 am
Profile WWW

Well, they may have 'borrowed' our design, but Eric's pic looks tougher than that guy's.

'Imitation is the highest form of flattery'. Hey, at least they were able to totally clip out Eric and replace it with their own guy.

Maybe they will start using our cool desktop pictures and rename their group Order Procinctus, or something like that. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:41 am
Profile WWW

Yeah that was pretty blatant man I was shocked as hell when I saw those shirts :) :shock: Truth is it was a really great poster I wish I'd have thought of it. I guess they just said "fuck it" when they saw it...

That guy Mike who is on the shirt is a good fencer though, hopefully next time he'll ask y'all if he wants to borrow some ideas, I don't think they had any idea where that came from I think they said they thought it was from "some SCA dude" when I asked them. Like the SCA has that much style... What are you gonna do thats Florida for you they are all basically yankees down there anyway...

DB

Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:27 pm
Profile WWW

The ordo one looks better

Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:51 pm
Profile WWW

I'm really not put off by it. I think it's funny more than anything else :P And I'm proud they decided it was cool enough to steal 8-)

Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:58 pm

Yeah, I'm not mad or anything. Groups have been isolated for so long they prolly thought no one would ever see it.

Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:40 pm

Video from the event (sparring and some of the classes) has been posted here:

http://freifechter.com/events/fall2009/nachreisen.cfm

There are a couple vids of me fighting Jay Vail labeled "Unknown name vs Jay Vail."

Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:41 pm

Nice.

Looks good. I saw you get a good attack in there about in the middle.

Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:46 am
Profile WWW

You def got a solid one in there Sir Eric.
Jay Vail looks like he is good in the clench. Clench fighting is something I think a lot of people don't think about when they are sword training, but is an inevitable part of any physical altercation.

Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:22 pm