It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:50 pm

Don't make me get Early Renaissance on your ass... 

Post Don't make me get Early Renaissance on your ass...
Hi guys, been a while since I've been on here, the new photos and stuff look great. Thought you might like this video, it's a bit more violent than our usual stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtJN9pBJlXQ

Our little group has been growing and we are starting to talk again about paying you guys a visit. We have some protective gear now which would now make it possible to do the punching and kicking stuff relatively safely.

Interesting to see some comments about training on here. What kind of training are y'all doing now?

Take care up there in heathen country!

Jean from New Orleans

Last edited by drifterbob on Thu May 24, 2007 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu May 24, 2007 8:19 am

Oh and here is another video, kind of stupid, but it's footage from the 2007 international Fencing tournament at Dijon, France. There is only about 4 seconds of actual sparring in there but you can see just from that that they are way better than we are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVfk0qX1ZPU&NR=1

J

Thu May 24, 2007 8:26 am

You guys are always welcome to come out. Unfortunately we don't have a lot of organized practices, although we are trying to put some together lately. We're still mostly school of hard knocks and meet primarily at tournament (first Sundays). Many of us are interested in some technique oriented workouts, but our knowledge base is somewhat limited.
-D

Sat May 26, 2007 1:38 pm

Quote:
You guys are always welcome to come out. Unfortunately we don't have a lot of organized practices, although we are trying to put some together lately. We're still mostly school of hard knocks and meet primarily at tournament (first Sundays). Many of us are interested in some technique oriented workouts, but our knowledge base is somewhat limited.
-D

Any practice is better than no practice, especially if you use some of the available online resources to incorporate some actual martial arts techniques in there.

I don't know if you saw on the New Orleans sword list, but we are having a prominent HEMA scholar and fencer come to do a workshop here in early September. We aren't opening it up to the public at large but anyone from your group would be welcome as long as you give us some advanced notice. We are asking everyone who does come to pitch-in $30, since we are flying him in and renting a hall and everything.

But this guy is very good and lets face it, more inspiring than some fat over the hill punk rocker from New Orleans :) Could be a good way to jump -start the incorporation of historical techniques into what y'all do. I can promise you, anyone who goes to that class will be winning tournaments more often. There are actually some things we could teach you now that would make a big difference, but this guy is on a whole nother level.

Jean

Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:57 am

Any hard dates yet on that workshop? I'm definately interested, depending on when it is.

What would I need to bring, if anything?

Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:41 pm

Quote:
Any hard dates yet on that workshop? I'm definately interested, depending on when it is.

What would I need to bring, if anything?

It's probably going to be either Sept 1 or Sept 8, but that is not certain yet. You would need to bring some kind of a waster or a reasonably realistic padded sword (preferably with functional quillions / cross-guard). A fencing mask is useful but not necessary. Steel blunt and other training weapons, shields, bucklers etc. are a bonus (but not necessary).

We will probably do a (free, informal) sparring / test-cutting day on Sunday the day after the workshop though. If you showed up for that as well and wanted to spar you would need to bring a helmet and hand protection. We have 'loaner' sparring weapons but helmets and gloves are personal equipment of individual group members.

You have to sign a waiver if you want to do test cutting.

Jean

Last edited by drifterbob on Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:03 pm

Hey Jean, check your messages.

Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:48 am

Yes, early is just fine with me. We started at 4 last time and I am fine with keeping to that.

Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:05 pm
Profile YIM

Quote:
But this guy is very good and lets face it, more inspiring than some fat over the hill punk rocker from New Orleans

I dunno, all the punk rockers I've seen were very... fighting oriented.

Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:06 am

Quote:

Quote:
But this guy is very good and lets face it, more inspiring than some fat over the hill punk rocker from New Orleans

I dunno, all the punk rockers I've seen were very... fighting oriented.

Yeah but when they are old and fat like me, they definately don't look it. I do still like to fight though, thats why I do HEMA so I get it out of my system and don't get arrested any more. I am interested in the middle ages re-enactment but not so much in experiencing realistic medieval prisons. Like the one at Tulane and Broad.

The event is a 'go', we are still not certain of the date but it will either be September 1 or August 25. It's going to be $30 to cover expenses (flying the guy down mainly) Anyone who is planning to come should PM me for my email address preferably a couple of weeks in advance.

And if you don't mind, please don't discuss this with people outside ordo procintus, we're trying to keep it kind of low profile.

I'll continue to post updates here whenever there is new developments.

J

Last edited by drifterbob on Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:40 am