It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:29 am

Live Steel, Ordo Style 

Post Live Steel, Ordo Style
If they can do it, so can we.

Turn your sound off and fast forward to 5:00.

http://vimeo.com/9960737

Wed May 19, 2010 8:41 pm

Post Re: Live Steel, Ordo Style
What swords are they using? If they are using the type of steel swords that we have, then that is a first step for us.

It appears that they are either not targeting legs and feet, or perhaps those targets are hard to hit, so they do not even go there.

I did not see thrusts, perhaps I should look again later. At any rate, the absence of thrusts, and fewer targets is a good trade-off for live steel action. I would go for it.

I need a good set of gauntlets, if I wanna really mix it up hard like that. I might be able to start some in the next month or so.

Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:51 am
Profile WWW

WOW, Steel is sooo FAST!
I did not even see any Kicks or Punches of opportunity.
I wonder if there is just not enough time for things like that.
Also, these guys may be the best out there so there is little room for anything like that.

Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:32 am

Sir Victor wrote:
What swords are they using? If they are using the type of steel swords that we have, then that is a first step for us.

Looks like Hanwei federscherts, not what anyone in ordo has that I'm aware of.

Sir Victor wrote:
It appears that they are either not targeting legs and feet, or perhaps those targets are hard to hit, so they do not even go there.

Historical longsword technique is founded around the principle that you will die if you get struck in the head, so 98% of the time going for the legs is a dumb thing to do. The sheitelhau's sole purpose is to destroy people who go for the legs. Of course, when you fight in a "first person to land a hit wins" point system, you get "suicidal fighters" who will intentionally leave themselves open in order to get a point with speed. As long as they land their legshot before you land your head shot, they can win. The truth of it is that, had it been a real fight, one person would be maimed but the other would get buried.

Sir Victor wrote:
I did not see thrusts, perhaps I should look again later. At any rate, the absence of thrusts, and fewer targets is a good trade-off for live steel action. I would go for it.

If you rewind back to the 3:00-4:00 you'll see several landed thrusts. In the 5:00-6:00 timeframe there are several attempts but none land.

Squire Claudio wrote:
WOW, Steel is sooo FAST!
I did not even see any Kicks or Punches of opportunity.

Watch the clip again. There were at least 2 kicks thrown.

Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:15 am

yeah, about going for the legs. When Jake Norwood came he talked about as an experienced swordsman he knows he can go for the legs against newbs but that experienced opponents will punish him if he tries.

Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:54 pm

The sword look a little lighter than some of seen. Well suited to competition. Should increase the speed, reduce impact. I know if you hit a padded arm with the sword I have with any real force you would break it. I'd have to find a similar weapon to what they are using.

Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:50 pm

I agree with Sir Dallas here. As much as I wanna jump into this type of thing, I also don't want anyone's arm broken (or worse).

Sir Eric, can you get a price on a pair of the exact swords they are using? Just for fun?

We were promised out full payment in September for last year's performance. Maybe we can use some of the funds for a pair of these or something.

Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:27 pm
Profile WWW

These seemed just slightly heavier than some competition fencing blades I've seen, fitted with longsword guards. I have been looking around online, but haven't seen anything yet.

Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:33 am

The only steel swords that I was aware of (sane) people using for sparring or competition were the Hanwei Federschwerts ($200) and the Albion Maestro Line ($500).

I had never seen the ones in this vid before. Upon further investigation, the swords appear to be made by Ensifer. (€160 or about $190). From the brief reviews I've managed to find, they sound superior to the Hanweis and are about the same price.

If we ever switch to steel, people will HAVE to wear proper protection and not act like complete idiots (which really just means use proper [but not necessarily historical] technique). As long as people wear good gauntlets, helmets, and chest protection, things should work out ok.

Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:35 pm

Thanks for the research there. I need some good gaunts, then I'm ready. 8-)

Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:15 pm
Profile WWW