It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:46 am

Curved shields How-to 

Post Curved shields How-to
So here's how I make my curved shields:

First make a form out of 2X4s like this one:

Cut the curved pieces out with a band saw if you have one or a jigsaw if you don't. I'll eventually post a link to the template I used for the curve.

In order to make a curved shield you need 2 pieces of 2'X4'X1/4" plywood. Don't get fancy oak plywood or anything because it won't bend like it's supposed to. Just get regular pine 1/4" plywood.

Mark a center line on BOTH sides of your first piece of ply and on the smooth side of the second. Mark the center line down each edge of the ply as well.

Put the smooth side of the first piece of ply facing the form with the rough side up. Use the center line and a reference mark on your form to center the piece:

Then tack the ply to the form with some 1" roofing tacks. DON'T drive them all the way in as you're going to pull them out before you put the next layer of ply down:

Next, tack one side of the ply down on the edge. Drive these tacks all the way in:

Then do the other side. Again, drive the nails all the way in:

And pull out the center tacks so you end up with this:

Now lay out about half of a one-pint bottle of wood glue on the shield in a grid pattern:

Sometimes the glue near the edges will run, so quickly try to spread it all out with a cheap chip brush. Cover the whole surface of the ply:

Put your second sheet of ply on top, smooth side up (so the two rough sides are together). Use the edge marks to line the top sheet up with the bottom sheet and then screw down the center line with 1 1/4" screws:

Screw down one side, being careful to miss the tacks in the first sheet:

Then screw the other side:

Finally, add some screws all around the edges between the first bunch of screws. They'll just go through the two layers of ply:

Then let it sit overnight. After it's dry, unscrew all of the screws and carefully pry the shield blank off of the form with a flathead screwdriver or a small pry bar.

At this point you either need to nip off the ends of the tacks and file them down or design your shield shape so that the edges with the nails in them are cut off.

Remember that your shield can only be as tall as the distance from the ground to your waist. After you have your shape layed out on the blank, use a jigsaw to cut it out. Make sure to cut with your saw on the outside of the curve.

Last edited by Sir Eric on Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:03 pm

Many thanks Sir Eric, you cold not have maid it any easier for us.
Maybe soon you can show us how to make a belt like yours and both of your gorgets.
Thank you for contributing your knowledge of armor making.

Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:37 pm

how did you cover, paint, and strap up your sheild?

Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:51 pm

I used a gate handle (from Lowes or Home Depot) and a leather strap and buckle on my shield. An old belt works great for the strap as it comes with everything you need. Just cut each end to a proper length. When you cut your strap, be sure to compensate for any forearm armor you have, because if you want to switch to or from S&S during weapon of choice, it's a lot quicker to be able to keep the bracer on and strap the shield over it. When you get a handle, make sure it has lots of space underneath it for your gloved and/or gauntleted hand to fit. Here is a website that may be able to help you find the right spot for your strap and handle

Fill in the screw holes (front and back. NOT the bolt holes, silly) with wood putty. After the putty dries, sand it even with the rest of the shield. I painted a couple layers of gesso (found at Hobby Lobby in the painting section by the brushes and paints) on the front and then painted with acrylics.

I glued some canvas on the back with wood glue. Put down a thin, even layer of glue and then carefully smooth the fabric out so there are no wrinkles. With a utility knife, make little Xs in the fabric over the bolt holes. Don't try to drill through the fabric, it'll just snag on the bit.

Bolt your handle and strap on. I recommend 1" X 1/4" carriage bolts with lock nuts. I filed the numbers off of the heads. Crank them tight until the head of the carriage bolt sits flat on the shield surface. Then paint the bolt heads so they don't show as much. I sealed everything with a couple coates of satin clear spray paint.

Finally, I edged mine in leather. It took 3 strips about 2.5" wide if I recall correctly. I dyed it (always dampen the leather before you dye it for a more even color), let the dye dry, then I think I soaked the leather in water again for pliability and just folded it in half over the edge and used tacks to hold it in place. I used upholstry tacks on the front and carpet tacks on the back, both from the hardware section at Wal Mart. I'ld put the tacks about every 2 to 3 inches and at least 1/4" away from the edge of the leather. You could also use painted garden hose, but I think the leather works and looks way better.

Last edited by Sir Eric on Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:05 am

For the threaded bolts on the back of the shield...

I cut off the extra bolt sticking out, so there was about 1 thread exposed.

Using a ball-pein, I beat the tiny thread so that it expanded and flattened out onto the nut. (This acts like a lock, so the nut will not loosen up.)

Using a side grinder, I ground the edges of the nut to give it a more rounded appearance.

Alot of trouble, but takes the 'hardware look' away.

Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:41 am
Profile WWW

Here's another thread on shield making...

http://www.hightowercrossbows.com/shieldhowto.htm

Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:06 am
Profile WWW