It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:00 pm

Helmet Patina (updated 4/11) 

Post Helmet Patina (updated 4/11)
So I finally decided to try to do sumthing about my glaringly silver helmet.

After talking to several people in the sculpture department about the best way to rust mild steel, I discovered that salt water and time was all it took. So I stuck my helm in the tub, mixed up some salt water in a spray bottle, and sprayed the helm down. Every 15 mins or so I would douse it again. I did that for about 5 hours or so last night then before bed I soaked it down really well, wrapped it in a bag and left it over night. In the morning I had this:

Overall it was just pretty nasty. Not only was it all splotchy, but it didnt even rust around the rivets or where the crest meets the helm. After a little thought I remembered that the helm had been coated in grease when I got it. I had wiped what I could off with a rag and didn't worry too much about it. Apparently there was still a thin film on many parts of the helm and lots in the crease by the crest and around the rivets. So I took it to school and sandblasted it:

Not only should that take care of the grease, but I'm hoping the matte surface will rust more quickly and evenly than the polished surface did.

It's been about 3 hours or so and this is how it looks so far. It's still wet, so the color isn't as bright as it will be when it dries:

It appears that the metal is rusting more evenly though it is still splotchy. I'm hoping that it's just a matter of time before the color evens out.

I've noticed that the metal seems to go black before it starts turning rust colored...

Mon 4/11 -- Here's what the patine looks like now:

You can see where some of the grease has seeped out around the face opening. I'm going to give it a light brush with a wire brush and see how it looks. After that I may spray it down some more or test the wax overcoat.

Last edited by Sir Eric on Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Apr 09, 2005 8:33 pm

hey eric ,
i was wondering if you had fixed the nose cutting part of your helm? just a question so hit me back

Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:14 am
Profile YIM

I haven't yet but will before the next tourney :)

Kinda sux though, cuz my nose has been the source of most of the blood shed in the pit lately :(

Sun Apr 10, 2005 12:15 pm

hey there eric ,
umm why are you trying to rust your helmet? couldn't you spray a coupla layers of clear coat on it .
or maybe just primer? just wondering .lol

Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:42 am
Profile YIM

It has always bothered me that my helmet is all shiny while all the rest of my armor is brown. I'm just trying to make everything match :)

After I get a satisfactory patina on the helm, I'll apply a protective wax topcoat that'll dull down the color somewhat.

Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:53 am

Sir Lawrence has a nice brown patina on his helmet. I think he got his rust the ole fashioned way. (age) It really matches his armour very well.

I think your armour will look very good together, Sir Eric. The helmet will blend in nicely. The pics are good for motivating armourers too!

Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:24 am
Profile WWW
Wow you sure have a nice patina going on.
I found if you rub it down with a oily scrubby pad (green scotch bright) it will even it out, and darken it.
The rust will be very thirsty for the oil and will soak it up at first.

After it drys just a light oiling now and then is all it takes. I did my spangen panels before assembling that way.
http://home.armourarchive.org/members/halberds/kotldback.jpg

Halberds... The new guy.

Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:21 am