It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:30 am

"Brass Knuckles" 

Post "Brass Knuckles"
Squire Gerard wrote:
so i was wondering does anyone make a thick enough peice of rattan to drill four 1 inch holes in a row.and if so could i make brass knuckle but of course use the rattan instead of brass or any metal and pad the front with 1/2 or 1" inch ? just a thought since its my style of fighting ?

Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:51 am

Post Re: "Brass Knuckles"
Sir Victor wrote:
Skip all that business and just invest in QUALITY gauntlets. You'll be able to use them for weapons fighting, and for hand to hand.

Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:52 am

Yes, you can get rattan that would be thick enough to do what you're describing. I think that in the case of brass knuckles, we could make some concessions to allow a plastic or other non-metal for the structure of the weapon since there really is no force generating leverage advantage to using such a small fist weapon.

The brass knuckles would only be allowed in weapon of choice matches, obviously, and they would have to fit over your normal hand protection. They would count as a blunt weapon, and would essentially be the same as fists, reducing them to pure aesthetics from a weapon advantage standpoint.

Due to the small size of the weapon, you probably wouldn't be able to block strikes with them to prevent a point. I think it would be too difficult to tell if the strike hit other parts of the hand as well.

What you want to do is perfectly feasible in our rule set, and I encourage any interest in alternative weapons. The knuckles would make a fun novelty weapon, but I don't think they would give you any real tactical advantage.

Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:18 am

i totally understand what ur saying. the reason i brought this weapon up was because yes our fist are considered as blunt weapons but in reality how hard would a hit have to be to kill someone thats if u hit them in the right spot.and with the knucks it would show the audience that yes there is a weapon being used in the process.as far as blocking goes no way to block with it lol.lets just go with the flow lol

Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:08 pm

It doesn't have to be lethal. Strikes have to be considered likely to to be damaging, a hit that would really effect the out come of the fight. For example, a staff strike to the ribs causing damage is highly unlikely to be lethal, but the person on the receiving end is prolly not fighting at full ability after that. Same with a cut to the hands or forearm. Very similar in a hand to hand fight, the person who gets the first solid hit swings the likelihood of victory far to his favor.

The points can show the accumulated likelihood to be the victor of an encounter.

That being said, it's always better to get a lethal strike.

Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:14 am

I just remembered Sir Lawrence had an idea to make a big overstuffed boxing glove with big foam spikes as a Cestus. Might be cool to use with a buckler-like shield gladiator style.

Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:21 am

that idea sounds more promising dallas : )

Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:08 pm