It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:06 am

helm opinions 

Post helm opinions
I'm looking at maybe ordering the fifth great helm here:
http://www.boldo.com/Armor/tabid/82/Default.aspx
classic pembridge great helm, without the slightly widened eye slit for sca.

Tue May 11, 2010 8:12 pm

Post Re: helm opinions
I'm no expert like some of the guys here, but that looks like a nice helm to me. The breathing holes look good for air flow. Also, I don't think anyone has a helm quite like that, so it should be unique on our field. That eye slot may be okay. Does anyone know if we have a specific measurement for max width of eye slots?

Tue May 11, 2010 9:11 pm

The helms construction looks fine(so far as the rivets and plate contact goes) and I am sure that it would work ok, but I dont know. that great helm looks funny. The ocular is shaped oddly and it looks like the sides flair out towards the bottom. Also the angled plate on the front that is in-between the top of the helm and the bottom front plate looks way too shallow , meaning not alot of nose room. but that could just be the photo if you could find a side profile of the helm it could let you know how much of an angle that helm has on the front plate. The helms height to width proportions also look a little funny. but once again that could just be the photo, really not the best photo for showing good dimensions. there are a few other things that jump out at me but thats just the armour snob in me, really for a great helm there is no real point in buying one. you said you have already got many of the tools you need for this. If you want we can set up some time for you to come over to my shop and we can work out a pattern and I can help you get started on it. I have been wanting to build one my self for a while so this will be a good time. Let me know man. If you dont feel like building one, this helm will work and for the price its not much of an investment as far as helmets go , so if it doesnt work getting a new one wouldnt be a mortal blow financially speaking. hope this helped.

in service,

Squire Stephen Blades

Wed May 12, 2010 12:59 am

Looks like a pretty typical greathelm to me, maybe a little wide at the bottom but still pretty typical. It's sure to be a sturdy helm.

A few things to keep in mind about greathelms:

1.) They're HUGE. Make sure that you get measurements off yourself and from the armorer:
  • Head circumference at the brow -- Wrap a layer or two of blue camp foam around your head and get the measurement. Compare that to the brow measurement from the helm.
  • Length from the top of the upper plate (where it meets the "cap" of the helm) to the bottom of the helm on the side -- Compare that to a similar measure on your own head, from your crown to your shoulder. Really big greathelms will actually rest on your shoulders (as they were probably originally intended to). While that's fine and good for jousting, it will annoy the crap out of (and possibly physically hurt) you when fighting on foot.

2.) They have a flat top which loves to catch weapons and will make a good loud "thunk" when it's hit (will be a dead giveaway to the judges that you were hit solidly.)

If you have more cash than time, by all means buy it. But I'd have to agree with Stephen here and say just build one yourself. A greathelm is too easy to make for you to fork out $100 and then spend your own time and effort modding it. You may as well start from scratch and build it to your own specifications to begin with. You can easily build one in a day by yourself, maybe even half a day with help from someone who knows metalworking.

If you want to test it, go here and print out the pattern* on some card stock, or print it on paper and trace onto manilla folder or poster board. Then cut out and tape together. That will give you an idea of how simple it is to make and will also allow you to size the pattern up/down and trim here and there to fit you better.

There is no specific Ordo requirement for ocular size, so the default rule of "whatever you're comfortable with as long as it isn't unreasonable," would apply.

And Laygeaux actually has a greathelm.

* Brass cross is purely decoration and 100% optional.

Wed May 12, 2010 7:18 am

laygeaux made his too right? It looks pretty nice.

Wed May 12, 2010 9:52 pm

I'm going to work with Stephen on this.

Wed May 12, 2010 11:17 pm

After along day of hammering and cursing the gods , kenneth left with a ruff but mostly complete greathelm. With alittle more work and some rivets it should make a good helm for many years of fighting. we used sinric's pattern from the armour archive and while it worked ok, I think I will make a new pattern for great helms. I think that have the problems we were having were from the pattern and sizing problems with the pattern. Also most of the work we did only took around 6-7 hours , which makes me think that with a better pattern you could finish a whole greathelm in around 12-14 hours. maybe more to pad and such.

Stephen

Sat May 22, 2010 5:20 pm

13 - 15 hours if you take breaks to curse the gods?

Sun May 23, 2010 8:21 am

True story. I finished all the rivets and some holes, and brought it in to show off to my wife, and she said, "Where's the top?" Turns out, I forgot that plate.

Thu May 27, 2010 8:01 pm

What do you guys use to attach the blue camp foam? Just any old adhesive?

Sat May 29, 2010 7:05 pm