It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:50 am

helm opinions 

Post Re: helm opinions
A lot of us use contact cement. Apply it to the inside of your helm and to the side of the foam you are going to attach. Wait 15 minutes, then put it in there. It should immediately stick. Don't do it inside unless you want to stink up the room.

Mon May 31, 2010 9:51 am

I've used liquid nails as well. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

Mon May 31, 2010 10:05 am

I strongly suggest to take one more extra step with the cushion.

Wrap it in a cool-looking cloth. This is so easy and makes a very nice touch to the helm or any armour piece.

Just use the same contact cement on the foam and the cloth. Wrap it like a christmas present, then (once dry) contact cement the piece to the helm.

It can be done in several strips (my suggestion) The entire thing does not need to be padded 100%.

Mon May 31, 2010 8:00 pm
Profile WWW

Instead of gluing cloth inside, I'm going for a removable cloth inner lining, inside the padding, although I've had a few setbacks, such as the old sewing machine doesn't work, and I mis-measured my liner, and I didn't fold it over to cut the face opening before doing the top cuts. But on the bright side, I only wasted a foot of linen and batting.

http://www.house-excelsior.com/suspension.htm

Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:24 am

Good job. That is even better!

I wouldn't worry about the sewing machine so much. You can handstitch it. It will look that much better too!

Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:44 am
Profile WWW

Hehehehe aye I've a great helm, I'm not in a posistion to show a few pictures for any one interested, but I'll try to do that by Friday just so any new people can see, and accual time to make is roughly 14 hours, two 6 hour days to make it and 2 hours on a third to to pad it to match your head, which is very important, as it will allow better hit absorbtion in the ring.

And truely it's the easyest to make, I also have my refernce I used for making it's paterns, once again I can't put that information up yet as I'm not in a posistion to do so, still in houston Texas.

Folders or cardstock or mannila folders are a great aid to making your paterns, and mannila folders are cheep and easy to get. I'll post more on it later.

The ogre

Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:53 pm

I am so proud!

Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:00 am

Very nice job! Hopefully you have used thick enough metal.

I'm not sure what kind of rivets you used, but you should use solid rivets. I can bring some for you, in case you are in need.

Other than that....great work. You will really appreciate armour much more, when you make it yourself.

Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:04 pm
Profile WWW

I think that looks pretty damned good for a first armor piece!

I agree that you should use solid rivets, especially on a helmet. If those are pop rivets (looks like they are) you should really replace them with solid ones.

My only criticism would be that it looks huge (it's actually NOT huge for a replica, but since you're going to be wearing it straight on your head, and not over a bascinet or cervelier or something, it looks huge). I bet you could get 2" of padding all the way around in it. Padding it properly will be difficult. Your arming cap is probably going to be too small. Any chance you'll have time one evening this weekend to swing by my place or for me to drop by yours? We can tweak a few things and see about padding it up properly.

The shirt's a great touch btw ;)

Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:56 pm

edit: this should be a PM

Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:25 pm