It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:58 pm

fingered gauntlets 

Post fingered gauntlets
I'm nearly finished a new gauntlet. (pics to come soon) It is a purchased demi-gauntlet, but I added the finger lames.

I've been doing some hot work metal pounding, and I'm getting some nice shapes for the finger lames.

Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:34 pm
Profile WWW

Post fingered gauntlets
you're working the fingers hot? What gauge are you using? I've made a finger gauntlet, albeit measured incorrectly for my hand, and the lames would shoot everywhere when I was dishing them. I had somebody in the shop to help me find them.

Last edited by jesset on Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:34 am

Post fingered gauntlets
So far, I've worked all of the finger lames cold. They require little bending (relatively speaking). I opted to bend the finger tips a bit, so that took more work than expected, but everything else was fast.

First, I used tablespoons (my absolute favorite item), and cut off the handles. I would place the spoon on my finger and determine how long it needed to be. I cut it to length as required. (Allow a tiny bit extra, just in case.)

Place the spoon in your vise and slowly crank it closed. Squish it a teeny more than you would like it, as it springs back open a little bit. Any fine-tuning/bending can be done with a set of pliers.

Recheck for fit on your finger. Trim with heavy snips as required. File/grind edges smooth.

Punch holes as required to rivet to a leather strip beneath. The rivets seem to work best when placed toward the edges on the underlapped lame. For the lame-edge ontop, place the rivet a little bit furthur away. (You can see how it's done on the gauntlet.)

Once you make a couple 'practice' full-fingers, you will get the hang of it. It is not as hard as it looks. Proper sizing is the key to a good fit, though. (At least with this style of lames.) If you use floating knuckle riders, then the lame lengths would be more forgiving.

Tablespoons are at Walmart. 6 for $1 is hard to beat! You will need 3 spoons per finger, and possibly 4, if you have a long finger. (If you use 4 spoons, then 2 spoons get rivetted together for the longest finger lame.)

have fun!

Last edited by Sir Victor on Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:13 pm
Profile WWW

Post fingered gauntlets
Thanks for the advice, Sir Victor. I am anxious to see these gauntlets up close.

Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:38 pm

Post fingered gauntlets
Here's some pictures of the ugly gauntlet. I found some hinges in the yard, attatched to a post rotting out of the ground. The hinge matches the heavily corroded "finish" of the rest of my armor. Everythingl else was made by me from 18AWG mild steel.
I kinda riveted the turning pin to close the door too stoutly, so I have to twist it closed with pliers. It should be comfortable with a little more tweaking, now that it doesn't try tro come off of my wrist anymore.

Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:46 pm

Post fingered gauntlets
Well done, Jesse!
At this rate, you will be nicely armored.
So, when are you gonna make the other one? :)

Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:25 am
Profile WWW