It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:34 am

A School Project On Armory 

Post A School Project On Armory
Hey, guys, I'm considering doing my senior project in English IV Honors on armor. Now, I can easily research and write my 8-10 page paper on armor, but I also have to have a physical presentation of what I've learned.

This project requires I have a mentor, who is a teacher from our school, and an expert in the field. I'm not sure if this expert has to be local, I'm verifying this at the moment.

Assuming I don't have to have a local expert, do you think any of you would be able to help me with my physical presentation of armor? I have to make this armor myself with your guidance. I know that a Knight oversees his Paige/Squire's crafting of armor, but I might need to start working on this before the 13th.

Also, I was wondering who is the closest to me? I live in Patterson, 70392. Google search for directions from your location to me to see how far you are from me.

Here is a link to make things easier.

Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:10 pm

What exactly about armor is your paper going to be on? Is it a general overview on the evolution of armor? Is there a particular style or certain type of armor you're interested in? A particular country?

Armor was used in one form or another for roughly 2000 years throughout Europe and Asia, so there's plenty to choose from :)

Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:59 pm

Well, I'd be more interested in European armor, although I am interested in Asian armor as well.

There are no speciffics at the moment, although I am most interested in platemail.

In all honesty, anything that can help me fill up those 8-10 pages goes.

Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:08 pm

There's plenty to write on any of a number of subjects. Here are a few regarding European plate armor:

1.) Transitional armor - the change from maille to plate
2.) The german gothic style
3.) The milanese style
4.) The maximillian style
5.) munitions grade black and white armor
6.) Tournament and parade armors
7.) Phasing out of armor due to introduction of gunpowder and firearms
8.) Use of plate armor in the 18th, 19th and (I think even) 20th centuries.

Asian stuff:

1.) Japanese armor
2.) Chinese/Mongol armor
3.) Indian/Middle-eastern armor

Go to Barnes and Noble and look for a rotating stand of Osprey books in the history section. They have lots of short books on armies and soldiers of different time periods and countries. FLip through the books until you find something that interests you and then we can go from there.

Last edited by Sir Eric on Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:02 pm

Right, I am not worried about writing material at all. The thing I am most concerned with is finding my expert.

Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:54 pm

...Sounds like you already found the armour expert you were looking for.

Sir Eric qualifies. ;)

Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:48 am
Profile WWW

Okay, Eric is an expert, but would I be able to physically meet with him numerous times? I could have to meet with him towards the end of the school year, not just now.

I'd like to find the nearest Knight for both of our sakes? Are your closest members to Patterson in Baton Rogue?

Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:14 pm

I may be moving to Texas in January, so I'm prolly not the perfect choice for this situation. I can give you the titles for a lot of books to look at though. If you'd like to use me as a secondary source, that's fine with me.

Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:17 pm

if you could post those book titles publicly would be beneficial too all aspiring young armorers

Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:37 pm
Profile WWW

Indeed, posting the titles of those books could help others, not just me. :)

Still, the thing I am most concerned with at the moment is a mentor. :P

As I'm reading the papers, my "Mentor Agreement" is due February 11th. I suppose the knight I am assigned by the war council could sign as my mentor. Another thing stated in the paperwork is that I must spend at least 20 hours, and my mentor must be able to verify that, of work on my project. I'm sure it's reasonable to think that I would spend 20 hours on my armor, but my knight has to witness me, at the very least, work on my armor for 20 hours (total, of course, not straight).

Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:44 pm