It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:29 pm

weapon lengths 

Post weapon lengths
I've just recently received rattan poles for my self and my brother and was wondering what are average lengths for our main weapon category's.

Longsword
Shield and sword
Staff

as well as other weapon types like for
weapon of choice matches.

-Laygeaux

Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:13 am

Post weapon lengths
well it depends, do yall have rattan to make enough weapons for both of yall or do you want to make ones that will work with both of you. Cause you know leygeaux you are bit bigger then then your bro. But Staffs are 6 foot long , I would make spears about the same . One hander any where between 28-38in roughly . An then 40-48in for a two hander. THat is overall length , make the handle as long as you think you will need , keeping in mind that you will have large gloves on. I think the size stuff for shields is in the law section on the main ordo site.

Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:13 pm

Post weapon lengths

Squire Stephen wrote:
well it depends, do yall have rattan to make enough weapons for both of yall or do you want to make ones that will work with both of you. Cause you know leygeaux you are bit bigger then then your bro. But Staffs are 6 foot long , I would make spears about the same . One hander any where between 28-38in roughly . An then 40-48in for a two hander. THat is overall length , make the handle as long as you think you will need , keeping in mind that you will have large gloves on. I think the size stuff for shields is in the law section on the main ordo site.

Yep...what he said. 8-)

Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:36 pm
Profile WWW

Post weapon lengths
hehe thats helpful to know, size limit on shield isnt a problem, and I've got 7 sticks of rattan, 8 foot each, 2 about 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 dia, and 5 about 1 inch dia, size seems to vary sligthly.

Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:18 am

Post weapon lengths
I happen to have a greatsword that I had just decorating my room. I just measured that and then made little adjustments. With an 8-foot pole of the stuff, I could make my greatsword and my 1 hander, which leaves the second one for my beatstick.

Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:34 pm

Post weapon lengths
now a question arises as i'm measuring my rattan, and is the blade length you stated include the 1 1/2 inches of foam required at the tip, or is that the rattan core it self, from the cross gaurd to the end of the blade region of the sword.

Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:26 pm

Post weapon lengths
Thats just the length of the rattan core(from pommel to tip) , The inch and half of foam I dont really count for how long the sword is , for 2 reasons , one it dosent add much weight to the sword and two it compresses ,so really the length you need to go by is the rattan core. the thicker rattan should be used for longer weapons so they wont be so bendy , so the one inch stuff should be for one handers and maybe your long sword , and then use the next size up for you staffs and spears . think thats about all.

George , great swords are a whole other world ma. way different then long sword , great swords should be about as along as you are tall , I dont know how big the sword you took measurements off of was but using a great sword could be alot harder then long sword . mainly cause the sword will be long end up hitting the ground and getting in the way , you might end up using it alot more like a spear then a long sword. I am not saying dont use it jsut giving you some thing to think about.

Last edited by Squire Stephen on Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:56 pm

Post weapon lengths
If you stand your longsword on the ground it should tuck nicely underneath your armpit. Shortsword is up to you. I actually use a rather short one, bigger guys can use my longsword as a one-hander. 36" is prolly a good length to start with for a one-hander.

The key to swords is balancing them properly. Too tip heavy gets hard to wield for extended periods, too hilt heavy won't give you enough power in your swing.

Staves and spears are typically 6ft. Anything longer than about 7ft gets difficult to use in the pit. It has been tried though...

Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:03 pm

Post weapon lengths
adam used to have a 7 foot spear called "the violator". He kicked ass with the reach, and ofcourse if you got inside it's reach he would just kick you in the face. If you don't remember who Adam is, he's the "wood elf" guy who likes to put his boot print on everyone's helmet and breast plate ;).

Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:18 pm

Post weapon lengths
I think it may have been 9 feet

Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:29 pm